Minister for Health and Aged Care announces new key COVID-19 supports for 2023 and new National Plan.
On 12 December 2022, the Minister for Health and Aged Care, the Hon Mark Butler MP, announced the key COVID-19 supports available for 2023 and also released the new National COVID-19 Health Management Plan (the National Plan), outlining a suite of interconnecting, whole of system measures designed to manage COVID-19 into the future.
The National Plan has been developed to guide Australia’s transition toward managing COVID-19 like any other respiratory illness. The Plan’s clear priority is to minimise the incidence of death and severe illness, particularly focusing on those most at risk.
The Plan will:
- Provide vaccine certainty, with a forward plan for vaccine procurement and administration
- Empower the community to make informed choices to protect themselves and their loved ones
- Take the pressure off hospitals by ensuring people can seek care in the community, where and when they need it
- Provide additional help for the aged care, First Nations, disability and multicultural communities
- Support effective COVID-19 testing to limit the spread and ensure that those most at risk of severe disease have fast access to care and treatments
- Strengthen the National Medical Stockpile safety net and pandemic preparedness capability to ensure Australia remains well-protected and prepared into the future and
- Look to recovery, to support Australians, both physically and mentally, to move forward.
New National Statement of Expectations on COVID-19 Management in Aged Care Settings
A National Statement of Expectations on COVID-19 Management in Aged Care Settings is also icnluded within The Plan, detailing specific guidance to aged care providers and services on your responsibilities for responding to and managing COVID-19.
It will support the ability of aged care services to ensure older Australians, at home or in residential settings, receive appropriate protection from and management of any COVID 19 infections in their surrounds.